Doctoral Student Seminar Rules
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics (KMG)
11 July, 2022
The rules apply from the Winter semester 2022/2023
PREAMBLE: Giving annual seminars is a formal requirement for you getting a doctoral degree at the University of South Bohemia. However, as formalities go, we think it is quite useful for the following reasons:
In order to do this, we will have reserved sessions for students to present during the department seminars and a yearly retreat. We ask that you cooperate with the organizer(s) of these seminars so that we can achieve these goals together.
If you approach this as only a formality, that is fine with us. But you are still expected to fulfill this requirement.
RECOMMENDATION: If you are not sure when you will give your seminar and in what capacity, I suggest that by default you sign up for the winter semester. In exceptional cases when you do not succeed in to fulfill this requirement, you can cancel this subject for the winter semester (PENALTY MAY APPLY) and sign up for the giving the talk in the summer semester.
For students starting their doctoral studies in the summer: your requirement for giving the PhD talk will start in the next academic year (i.e. you beging your studies in summer 2020, so your requirement will start in the winter semester of 2020). This to synchronize all the student’s requirements so that everyone can better keep track of them .
1. 12 minutes, strictly enforced, plus 5 minutes science discussion and 3 minutes feedback
a. Remember this rule of thumb: 1 slide per minute
2. The student talks are for a general audience:
- Choose a simple story line from your project
- Not everyone in the department knows about the details of your project, so please try to give the RELEVANT background so that people will understand that simple story
- Do not try to put ALL your data into the presentation but only what is relevant to that simple story
- This is a challenging task, but it has been accomplished
3. You are expected to stay for all the talks in your session and not just your own, so please plan to stay for the whole duration of the session (or retreat).
Disclaimers about the seminars:
1. Provided title talks for posting are final, so please DO NOT request title changes after you have submitted them as we have limited capacity to make these changes.
2. Of course, you can rename the talks as you please, but it will not be updated in the postings